We’ve been talking quite a bit about the SHIELD TV over the past few weeks, but that’s mainly been in relation to a rumored hardware refresh that is in the works. Today, however, NVIDIA did make a pretty big announcement regarding the SHIELD TV, but it pertains to the software that the 4K media streamer runs.
NVIDIA has announced the availability of SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.0, which is rolling out now to all SHIELD TV owners. The big news with this update is the arrival of the Android TV experience based on Android Pie. This comes roughly a year after NVIDIA delivered Android Oreo to SHIELD TV users.
According to NVIDIA, the Android Pie update brings a redesigned Settings menu along with faster and easier setup for customers that are new to the SHIELD TV. Instead of relying on the remote to setup the device (which can be cumbersome), you can rely primarily on your smartphone to autofill forms (which should make it easier to sign-in to your various streaming channel accounts).
HDR-compliant TVs will now support Match Content Color Space, which can automatically change the display mode based on what it is being displayed on the screen. Other additions include an updated Hulu app with a new UI, Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound support with the Netflix app, and 4K casting with Amazon Prime Video.
Other updates with the SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.0 include:
- Updates "Display and Sounds" advanced setting into two easier to navigate menus.
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and Bluetooth connected headsets.
- SHIELD TV remote app adds Bluetooth assist for pairing and improves connection.
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps.
- Adds "Disconnect Bluetooth accessories" option to quick settings.
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality.
- Adds option to turn off USB power when SHIELD sleeps.
- Adds option to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID.
The SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.0 can be obtained right now by heading over to the Settings app and checking for updates on your SHIELD TV.