- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize" on startup
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
- Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "Unable to launch game, please verify your game data" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher
For some, the patch resolved the problem(s) they were having. However, it appears that problems still persist for others. At the time of this writing, out of the 530 people who bothered to vote on whether they found the patch notes article helpful, only 101 voted "yes"—429 clicked the "no" button.
As far as we are aware, Rockstar has not announced that another patch is coming, though it seems inevitable for a game this large and popular. In the meantime, however, the developer does have a tip. It essentially boils down to "update your graphics drivers."
"NVIDIA owners should update their graphics driver version to 441.12 or above in the GeForce Experience app, or manually using this link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx.
AMD owners should update their graphics driver version to 19.11.1 or above in the Radeon Software app, or manually using this link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download," Rockstar says.
The other tip is to run RDR2.exe as an administrator.
- Open the Rockstar Games Launcher
- Select Settings
- Select Red Dead Redemption 2 under My installed games
- Select Open under View Installation Folder
- Right-Click on RDR2
- Select Properties
- Under the Compatibility Tab
- Select Run this Program as an Administrator and Disable Full Screen Optimization
- Click OK
- Return to the Games Menu in the Rockstar Games Launcher
- Launch the game
Only 649 out of 3,494 people who voted found Rockstar's support article outlining these tips helpful, so it would seem some gamers are simply out of luck for the time being. Hopefully a subsequent patch comes quick to resolve these initial hiccups.